When it is time to replace your old garage door with a new one, it is always important to know what size door you need. Measuring for a new garage door is actually pretty simple, requiring just a tape measure, a step ladder, a pen and paper to write your measurements on, and a partner to help.
How to steps:
- Measure the width of your door. It is important that you measure your garage door at its widest point. It is generally a good idea to have one person stand on the left side of the garage door, holding the tape measure on the left side of the finished opening while you stretch the tape measure to the right side, directly across. Record your measurement in feet and inches, as this is the correct unit of measure to give to your garage company.
- Measure the height of your door. Remember to measure the height at its highest possible point. Make sure that the floor of your garage is level and that the top finished opening of your garage is also level. Have your partner hold the tape measure on the ground while you carefully climb your step ladder. You will measure from the garage floor to the top of the finished opening. Record your measurement in feet and inches.
- Measure the room between the door opening and the walls of your garage. To do this, stand at one finished side of your garage door and measure from that opening to the closest wall. 3.75 inches are required to install a vertical track for your garage door to run on. Do this for both sides of your garage door. If you have a double bay garage door, you will need to measure the center post between your separate garage doors. Record your measurement in feet and inches.
- Measure the distance between the top door opening and the ceiling. Again, carefully climb your step ladder. It is recommended that your partner spot you while you are standing on the ladder so that you can concentrate on measuring above your head. Remember to take measurements in feet and inches. This measurement is important because the garage door will need to roll up on tracks through this area – called the headroom.
- Measure the distance from the garage door opening to the back of your garage. This is called the backroom, and it is where the garage door will retract when it is open. Record your measurements in feet and inches.
Contact HABPRO Garage Doors with your measurements, or ask us to come measure properly for you.